Sunday, June 12, 2011

WWKIP


It's Here! WWKIP 2011 week has finally arrived! Although knitting seems to be a superfluous hobby in Florida where you usually don't need all those beautifully warm items made with sticks, it is a popular and fulfilling pastime. And those of us who live here know how to have a good time playing with out sticks and fibers.

For the uninitiated, WWKIP stands for World Wide Knitting In Public. You will see knitters everywhere with their needles clicking all week long. I've joined the Ravelry group The Great Gold Coast KIP Hunt for events to celebrate this week. We started out with a small gathering of kindred souls at Yarn It! a fiber, knitting, weaving, spinning, crochet shop in Fort Pierce, Florida. At shop we received our list of places that we are challenged to knit at during this week. Photos are to be taken and published on Ravelry. We will receive points for the photos showing all the places where we knitted throughout the week and prizes will be awarded.

For my first KIP adventure this week, I grabbed my knitting bag, made sure my camera was in my handbag and left our LYS to go to lunch with my son. After we placed our orders for lunch at Archie’s Seabreeze I got out my kip bag and camera only to find out that one of my knitting needles was missing. I went back out to the van and looked all over for the missing needle with no luck. But I did find a new pair of chopsticks on the floor between the seats. Well knitting is just manipulating yarn with two sticks so I thought “why not"? So I started knitting with the chopsticks and looked for the best photo location for this event. I could not resist the opportunity to have my photo taken with Archie’s famous pirate and even let him hold my ball of yarn on his hook.

Other places I plan on knitting this week include my local auto repair shop, at the movie theater when I go to see "Super 8", and at the beach. I'll try to post photos from the other spots at the end of the week. Meanwhile - Happy WWKIP Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment