Thursday, March 24, 2011

Creative Lighting






Last night our minister spoke about all the different effects that light has on our lives, from the physical effects of light (vitamin D, photosynthesis, sunburns, etc.) to the spiritual effects. As I mused on this later last night, it started another train of thought concerning the effects of light on my artistic fiber endeavors.

I think most of us have learned to look at colors under natural lighting and sunlight if possible. I know photos of my yarns and finished projects are always better when taken outside in the sunlight. Fortunately I live in Florida's sunshine city, Fort Pierce, and we generally have the sun shining at some time almost every day. Colors can look very different under different lights and it always helps to look at variegated yarns in natural sunlight, especially when you want to pair them up with solid colors. Unfortunately light can also have an adverse effects on colors over the course of time and bleach them out to a pale shadow of their former glory.

I also love the differences in color perception caused by texture under strong lighting. Sometimes, when playing with my dye kettle, its fun to see the differences in color when you dye different fibers and yarn textures in the same pot full of dye. A silk ribbon dyed in Periwinkle will look quite different from the bulky wool yarn from the same pot.

Another effect of light is seen in the slight variations of color you get when hand dyeing. Those of us who dye know that one of the beautiful effects from the process is that a solid color is not really a solid color. I love the slight variations in color that give character to my yarns. This effect can change greatly depending upon the available lighting. Last fall I had dyed 3 skeins of yarn in Spruce for a shawl. The lighting in my house showed some little variation in the color. Later in the month, while in rehab for my knee replacement, the color variation hardly showed up at all in the flourescent lights of the hospital room.

I also love the play of light that I get when I spin Angelina into my fibers. I recently used my drum carder to blend turquoise wool with small amounts of Silver Sparkle Hologram Angelina and black and white mohair and alpaca. Then I spun up all the batts to make a lovely yarn for use on a triangle loom. The finished shawl was a treat for myself. It is beautiful under normal indoor lighting. When you take it outdoors into the sunshine it becomes spectacular with little bits of colored fire sparking off the Angelina. I am adding photos of the shawl and have tried to get the pictures to show the effects of the Angelina but the camera's eye just cannot do the same job as the human eye. P.S. The model in the photo is an acquaintance from our LYS.








1 comment:

  1. I don't even know where to start with my comment, we have so many common threads!! I was moved by your post. Light is so important to me... I love the sun, the warmth just radiates through to my soul. Turquoise is one of my current favorite colors, along with teal and aqua... and I know it's because it reminds me of the sky, and water... life giving forces. Also, I believe in the idea that light and darkness have a balance in this world.. and as you know, I've been exposed to some pretty dark souls as of late. This has occurred all my life. I've often wondered why so many "dark souls" are put in my path. I asked one of them directly once... "Why am I always finding myself surrounded with such draining, negative, dark people?" He replied, "You are the balance of Light in the darkness. You're light shines so bright, that it balances out hundreds of the darkness." Not a bad thing to hear, but what a burden to bear.

    I agree about the subtle tone-on-tone almost undetectable color changes in hand-dyed yarn. I received a swap package last month, and inside (among many other beautiful things) was an overdyed skein of Aqua/Lime/Teal sock yarn. When knitted up, you can barely see from afar, or in certain light, that the sock is not solid. It's amazing, and wonderful. Angelina in yarn gives it such dimension, and an Aurora Borealis kind of effect... again, just beautiful.

    You are quite the artist!!

    ReplyDelete